Freitag, 5. Juni 2009

Yesterday I had an encounter with a reliable garage!

Honestly - it isn't usual for me to blame other people even they screw something up. Of course, I will tell them about the case, if the issue is really serious but for normal I will not yell around. But anyway - I had to change the garage for my truck. I am not longer convinced about the quality of the garage to which I used to bring my car for several services.

So I asked a member of the parish council in High Level, Elisabeth Ross-Hunter, if she could recommend me to a garage, where I can meet real mechanics and even speak to them personally. A garage like I used to go at home - with personal contact, descriptions of that, what is wrong (with showing the problem) ... and she recommended one. Yesterday I was there - and it was as I like it.

An older guy began immediatly with the service. He showed me the problems (even those which should have been seen by the former garage), changed the oil, fixed a few small things, mentioned, that it is not really proper if there are different sizes and shapes of wheels on a 4 wheel drive (I couldn't imagine that the former owner of the car did such weird things, I always felt a little bit uncomfortable in the car, but I wasn't able to tell the mechanics why). And one thing was really nice. The company was able to get even 4 used (more then 50% left) tires across from another customer to me, and those people gave them even for good. Please consider following: from the 5 wheels which had been on the truck until yesterday (including the spare) were 2 completely worn out and one with a wrong size - the two remaining tires will be used as spares (one of them is already mounted onto a rim, the other one is a kind of double security; such a second spare is strongly recommended for the Dempster Highway in the far North - almost 800km gravel where I will travel in a few weeks with my nephew - by the way: thanks to my father for the nice support of the journey ... I just had a look into my account statement ...)

There was one hint which showed me, that this garage is really reliable - they are fixing an old GMC-Truck (wanna have it !!!!!!)

I was all the time in the garage while the mechanik fixed my car - and I had the feeling (it could be also a private presumption) that the mechanic was possibly positive attired in my apprecation of his work (after doing the paperwork and signing the bill for the Archdiocese I gave him a tip of $20,-). It might be also another presumption that it is not very often that he experienced a customer who is really interested in his work.

The schedule for the next week is rather full of exciting appointments:
  • Saturday, June 6th: First Communion in Rainbow Lake
  • Sonday: Mass in Assumption and Fort Vermilion
  • Monday: Visit the Tipi Church in John D'or Prairie probably together with Sr. Rose
  • Tuesday: Cultural Day in the Assumption School - I will make some films of traditional skills
  • Friday: Travel to Alexandra Falls
I hope that there will be no funeral in the next week ... And after this week, Father Clifford will be here - and you know what? I will support him if he needs somebody for something to be fixed or cleaned of similar stuff but - discussions about the importance of baptismal preparation and bringing a valid birth certificate (or a copy of it) for baptism will be then his job.

God bless you

1 Kommentar:

Kanzelschwalbe hat gesagt…

Goodness me! I don´t even want to think what could have happenend to you with the wrecked tyres somewhere in the wilderness.
I thought a reliable car is something like a life-insurance up there.
But maybe Europeans think completely different to Canadians about such issues.

Good on you that you found a customer-friendly and, even more important, reliable garage.
It´s probably worth every cent of the tip.
Maybe you can even purchase the red vehicle. It looks so nice and really appropriate for the season of Pentecost. ;-)
Safe travels!